Friday, April 1, 2011

The Next Chapter in the Annie Show

Hey guys!

Things have been a bit tumultuous the last few weeks and as a result some major changes have happened in my life in the last 24 hours.

As a lot of you know, I've been working a full time 8-5 job and trying to do random freelance work at night/on the side. It's been somewhat successful but I have not been able to complete my website yet or finish a lot of the projects I desperately want to.

Within the last 6 months or so my job has been sort of up in the air as to what I would be doing, where I would be doing it, and how often I'd be working.  The small independent Insurance Agency I worked for has been affected big time from the economy. Commissions from the big companies (ie: Blue Cross, Blue Shield) have been getting cut down and it's to the point where the business could not support it's financial responsibilities as well as it's 2 full time workers. Because of that, I was let go this week.  It was ended on a good note and I pretty much knew it was coming. I can't fault a little business having struggles in a economic time like this and in reality, it's business!

That being said, I'm choosing to take this time to hunker down and get my "little business" rockin! For a while at least, I'm going to go full time into freelance and treat my illustration work as my full time job!  I know that time put into things can produce results and now I have the time to do that :) I have finally realized that I most likely won't be picked to be JK Rowling's next illustrator ;P (here's hoping!), but I do believe that sometimes it just takes one hit to get the ball rolling. You have to get yourself out there to be seen or noticed - it won't just fall into your lap. Tho we all might wish it!

Sooooo that's the big news!! Its weird because I'm not scared or worried or stressed about this. At All. For once in my life I'm free of other work commitments and school schedules and I can devote my time to what I'm passionate about! It's so exciting! I truly believe that God has a hand on this situation and he can make the best of it, but it's truly up to me to take it and work my butt off to achieve the goal.

This is turning into a VERY long post! hahaha but in honor of this new chapter I'm kicking of a sketch of the day challenge for the month of April. Starting tomorrow I will be posting up a daily sketch of whatever to keep you entertained (hopefully) and in the process work on my sketching skill with the wacom :) So stay tuned tomorrow for that one!

Till then, may you all have a blessed day and a happy weekend!


** I should probably put a disclaimer on this post considering what the date is today. No, this is not an April Fool's joke! LOL This is for real and I'm plowing ahead full steam! **

3 comments:

Sean Carter said...

Here's wishing you the best of Luck, you have to pursue your dreams since this is the only life you get.

Annie said...

Thanks Carter :)

Lori-Lee Thomas said...

WOW! I know exactly how you feel! I left a great paying manager position to pursue my dream of creating art fulltime. It is very exciting! Marketing is key! Get yer stuff out EVERYWHERE! I'm still learning that one. :P